02 May 2007

Thousands of immigration marchers rally across U.S. - CNN.com

Flags are funny things. As an icon of a nation state, they are meant to represent the identity of that nation in a tangible form, proudly conveying the personality of that state, and over time becoming synonymous with its values and history. And none are more omnipresent throughout the world than America's own stars and bars.

I was standing in a ground floor lounge of my university when the protest march came down Jackson Blvd. here in Chicago. The room has windows that run from about waist height to the vaulted ceilg some fifteen or twenty feet above me, designed to give the occupant a sense of openness. Nevertheless, the sea of protestors filled the street, overflowing the curbs had the unnerving effect of making me feel like I was truly 'in the midst' of this march. From the relative safety of this vantage point, I could see almost everyone who passed our windows. Some whites or perhaps more accurately, caucasions (how does one distinguish between the numerous 'white' races of Europe?), but mostly hispanics.

I was struck by the number of people who were waving or carrying the American flag. But more importantly, I was struck by how I felt about that observation. For those I perceived as latinos, I found myself wondering where these flags would be in three days time?

Chicago's demographics reflect an enormous and ethnically diverse population, a significant portion of them of latino descent. And often times, on the various and sundry holidays of their native community, you can see many youths (latino and others, but largely latino) racing up and down the boulevards, proudly (almost defiantly) flying the flag of their homeland. And yet, these are quite possibly the same people who are now marching down Jackson claiming the protection of the American flag.

But where is the American flag in their daily American lives? Why do I so seldom see an American flag flying from a house or on a car in this community unless its somehow meant to conveniently demonstrate what comes off as a passing loyalty. Why is it that so many come to this country looking for something better, only to try to recreate what they left, here? I recognize a desire to preserve one's heritage, but can so many honestly believe that a choice to move to another country for a better life wouldn't mean leaving some (or much) of what they were trying to get away from, behind?

Modern sociologists often claim the term 'melting pot' is outdated, preferring pluralism to assimilation, advocating multiculturalism in its stead, especially with regards to America immigration. I don't claim to know which may be 'more right'. But 'convenient patriotism' is something I've no stomach for.

No comments:

 

©2003-2012 J.M. Schneider -- Excerpts via Fair Use